Mu Phi Epsilon
Founded in 1903, Mu Phi Epsilon is an International Music Fraternity for men and women dedicated to the advancement of musicianship and scholarship. The Mu Phi Epsilon Foundation, and the Fraternity, offers scholarships to various annual music festivals and grants-in-aid. The Foundation also sponsors an International Competition that is open to outstanding artist members of Mu Phi Epsilon and awards a two-year concert tour. Epsilon Kappa, SIUC's chapter was chartered on May 14, 1950.
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, the oldest and largest national professional music fraternity for men, is represented on the SIUC by the Epsilon Kappa Chapter. The fraternity was founded in 1898 and its purposes are: to encourage and actively support the highest standards of creativity, performance, education and research in America; to develop and encourage loyalty to the Alma Mater; to foster the mutual welfare and brotherhood of students of music; to develop the truest fraternal spirit among its members; and to instill in all people an awareness of music's important role in the enrichment of the human spirit. Any male student who has an active interest in music is eligible for membership.
Sigma Alpha Iota
Sigma Alpha Iota is open to any woman who participates in a School of Music ensemble. This is an independent organization formed by a group of women in the School of Music at SIUC in March of 1994 and received their charter in May of 1998. Their objectives are to serve SIU, the community, and the School of Music, to promote the growth of composition, scholarship and music education, and to unite women in the bonds of sisterhood through music.
The Collegiate Music Educators National Conference is the student professional organization in music education. The local chapter elects officers, plans monthly programs on topics from jazz education to teachers' unions, and attends MENC conventions where they hear outstanding ensembles, share experiences with students from other colleges, meet experienced teachers and view the displays of instruments and music. Members receive the Music Educators Journal and the state journal. Membership information and forms can be obtained from the CMENC advisor.
Music Business Association
The Music Business Association is a student professional organization whose purpose is to:
- Provide an opportunity for networking and camaraderie among both students majoring in music business at SIUC and also other students interested in the music industry.
- Furnish a forum for topical programs, speakers and demonstrations that give focus to areas of interest to its members and/or otherwise enhance the present music business curriculum at SIUC.
- Build a library of resources and a network of SIUC music business alumni for use by MBA members, particularly graduating seniors, to facilitate placement in an ever competitive job market.
- Develop and maintain organization projects (e.g. promotional services to the SIUC School of Music, SIUC music ensembles or local bands) that allow MBA members hands-on experience in a variety of facets of the music industry.
- Nurture a sense of community within the SIUC School of Music and as that community, play a role in impacting the future of the music business curriculum at SIUC.