Altgeld Hall was the second building constructed at Southern Illinois University Carbondale and now is the oldest remaining building on the campus. The 39th Illinois General Assembly appropriated $40,000 for the construction of what was then called the Old Science Building. Gov. John P. Altgeld approved the legislation on June 7, 1895. About a year and a half later, on December 22, 1896, the building was dedicated in Gov. Altgeld’s name and became home to the science library, laboratories for the departments of physics, chemistry and biology and a gymnasium facility. In Fall of 2004, the School of Music moved back into a completely renovated facility after an $11 million and almost three year project.